UK: Summer celebrations drive can shipments growth
Can shipments in the UK increased by 2% in the first half of the year
UK drinks can shipments increased by 2% in the first half of the year driven by beer and cider sales for summer events, a manufacturers group has said.
Total shipments from January to June reached 4.7bn cans, the Can Makers said yesterday (6 September), citing Nielsen figures. Beer and cider can shipments increased by 2.4%, or 51m cans, to 2.16bn, because of demand sparked by the Queen's Jubilee, Olympics and Euro 2012 football tournament, the group said.
“The statistics show that cans continue to do well despite a tough economic market and bad summer weather, due to consumer convenience and competitive retail prices,” said Geoff Courtney, the chairman of the trade body. “Overall, we are pleased to see that cans are still a preferred pack of choice in the UK.”
Empty can shipments for CSDs grew by 1.5% in the first half of the year, the Can Makers said.
It said 50cl cans had the strongest growth, driven by the energy drinks category, while single cans continued to increase their share of all canned sales. The Can Makers said this was due to the growing need for consumer convenience and low unit purchase price.
A study last month showed that can recycling rates in the US had increased to 65%.
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018