US: Summer beer price war brewing
A price war in the US beer market is being widely predicted as executives at leading brewer, Anheuser-Busch, promised investors that it would do "whatever is necessary" to grow its market share and increase profits.
However, A-B said it wasn't a question of undercutting competitors but simply reducing its premium to competitors' prices.
Nevertheless, analysts are expecting a summer of extremely tough competition. "If everyone was playing nice in the sandbox, this would be OK," Marc Greenberg, a Deutsche Bank analyst, told Down Jones News Service. "But we sense a much more competitive attitude among domestic brewers." Greenberg added that A-B's main competitors, SABMiller Miller and Molson Coors Brewing, "seem unlikely to let A-B off without a worthy fight."
A host of other investment analysts have forecast a price war but Norman Adami, chief executive of Miller, has repeatedly cautioned against a discounting battle, saying that any progress made would simply be a question of "renting share." But Adami still expects the coming summer to be "one of the most competitive," and said Miller would match competitors' moves on pricing.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch said today that it had seen its earnings per share fall 3% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same period last year as it was hit by difficult trading condi...
Patrick Stokes, president and chief executive officer of Anheuser-Busch Companies, has said that the company's board of directors has declared a regular quarterly dividend....
Berkshire Hathaway Inc., the holding company of billionaire Warren Buffett, has acquired a significant stake in Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has threatened to stop buying rice from Missouri if the state allows genetically modified, drug-making crops to grow within its borders....
China Resources Snow Breweries Limited (CR Snow) has entered into an agreement with the Fuyang City government to acquire the assets of the Fuyang City Snowland Brewery Company in Anhui province for U...
Anheuser-Busch has increased its economic interest in China's Tsingtao to 27% upon its conversion of all the remaining convertible bonds in Tsingtao....
Anheuser-Busch has revealed plans to launch a new variant in its Bacardi Silver range....
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?