UK: Sugar costs set to sweeten - AG Barr CEO
Barr released its FY results today
Price pressures on sugar will lessen this year, the head of AG Barr has told just-drinks after commodity costs dragged down the Irn Bru maker's full-year profits.
Barr CEO Roger White said today (21 March) Barr's sugar costs increased by 20% in the past year, contributing to a 4.3% year-on-year input cost increase. Last year Barr predicted sugar to rise by about 5% in price, and the jump was partly responsible for a 9% FY profits slide in today's results.
But speaking to just-drinks, White said that despite expected fluctuations in the foreign exchange markets, “I suspect (the sugar price) is going to be less aggressive than it was for the last two years.”
White also called for “common sense and reality” after the UK's Office of Fair Trading referred its planned merger with Britvic to the Competition Commission. White said the decision last month by the OFT was based on “economic theory rather than practicality”, but added he is still positive the merger can go ahead.
“As and when we get cleared the boards of both businesses will re-evaluate the position and hopefully we'll get on with things,” he said.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015