UK: Sugar costs set to sweeten - AG Barr CEO
Barr released its FY results today
Price pressures on sugar will lessen this year, the head of AG Barr has told just-drinks after commodity costs dragged down the Irn Bru maker's full-year profits.
Barr CEO Roger White said today (21 March) Barr's sugar costs increased by 20% in the past year, contributing to a 4.3% year-on-year input cost increase. Last year Barr predicted sugar to rise by about 5% in price, and the jump was partly responsible for a 9% FY profits slide in today's results.
But speaking to just-drinks, White said that despite expected fluctuations in the foreign exchange markets, “I suspect (the sugar price) is going to be less aggressive than it was for the last two years.”
White also called for “common sense and reality” after the UK's Office of Fair Trading referred its planned merger with Britvic to the Competition Commission. White said the decision last month by the OFT was based on “economic theory rather than practicality”, but added he is still positive the merger can go ahead.
“As and when we get cleared the boards of both businesses will re-evaluate the position and hopefully we'll get on with things,” he said.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Barr (AG) Plc is focused on joining forces with Britvic Soft Drinks Ltd to become a joint partner company in what is expected to be the largest European soft drinks company. The formulation of the mer...
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review