CHILE: Strong peso slashes Concha y Toro earnings
Chilean wine producer Concha y Toro has reported a slump in first-quarter profits as the sharp rise in the Chilean peso hammered earnings.
Concha y Toro, the producer of brands including Casillero del Diablo, yesterday posted a 71% drop in net income to CLP1.4bn (US$2.7m) for the first quarter of the year. Revenues fell 6% to CLP38.9bn. The company said the value of the peso rose 12.4% against the US dollar during the three-month period.
"Export returns in US dollars increased 5.3% in the period, with the volume shipped increasing 7%. Largest growth gains were obtained in South America and Asia. However, this result was offset by a lower exchange rate," said Eduardo Guilisasti, Concha y Toro CEO.
Exports to the UK dipped 5.7%, the company said, again held back by the strength of the peso.
Concha y Toro also suffered a fall in domestic sales as the company's major clients cut their orders after a year of lower volumes in Chile in 2005. The company saw its domestic revenues fall almost 14% on the back of a 17% slump in volumes.
Chile has already come a long way as a wine exporter in a short time but clearly has the potential to develop further. Michael Cox and Ricardo Letelier, respectively UK director and general manager of...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts