UK: Strike threatens Scottish & Newcastle
Scottish & Newcastle is facing the threat of industrial action at its biggest brewery in the UK. The brewer confirmed to just-drinks today (8 August) that union members at its facility in Reading, Berkshire have voted almost unanimously in favour of industrial action in the light of stuttering pay talks.
Members of the Unite union last week voted almost 90% in favour of taking action against the brewer, something S&N described as a "disappointing outcome".
Talks between S&N and the union have continued this week, with arbitration body ACAS expected to take the two sides in next week.
The spokesperson commented on the "vociferous nature" of the objections of staff, which is linked to proposals regarding overtime payments for different skill levels at the brewery.
"Talks are ongoing, and we have high expectations of reaching a mutually agreeable solution," the spokesperson concluded.
The Berkshire brewery has per capita capacity of around 6.5m hectolitres, with its main brands being Foster's and Kronenbourg.
The closures debate was re-ignited in 2007 as environmental concerns caught up with long-standing quality arguments. In 2008, we will see this trend continue as wineries and retailers come under incre...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
The chief executive of UK pub operator Mitchells & Butlers has tendered his resignation, after the company lost GBP391m (US$776.4m) on a failed property venture....
Fuller, Smith & Turner has warned that trading conditions in the UK "are now less favourable"....
The head of Vin & Sprit's spirits division has said that the current global economic uncertainty should not affect the unit in 2008....
United Breweries has suggested a close relationship with Heineken, after the Dutch brewer lined up the takeover of Scottish & Newcastle last week....
The Swedish government is considering keeping a stake in soon-to-be-privatised spirits producer V&S, local reports have suggested, while speculation is also growing that the sale price could fall due ...
Vin & Sprit is toasting a record year for its Absolut Spirits division in 2007....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research