DENMARK: Strike sees Carlsberg run out of beer
Carlsberg has confirmed to just-drinks that it has run out of draught beer and soft drinks for its home market of Denmark due to a week-long strike at its production facility in Fredericia.
Industrial action at the site, located in the Jutland region of Denmark, broke out on Wednesday last week, with members of the 3F trade union objecting to a non-union employee working at the plant. A hearing at the industrial relations conciliation service was held earlier today (22 August), and the 130 union members who have walked out have been instructed to return to work.
A further meeting is scheduled to take place early tomorrow morning.
Speaking to just-drinks today (22 August), a spokesperson for Carlsberg's Denmark operations said: "This dispute is nothing to do with us. We are not allowed to intervene."
In the meantime, the facility no longer has supplies of beer and soft drinks. Fredericia is the only production facility that Carlsberg has in Denmark.
"We are looking to import supplies from other countries," the spokesperson said.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' management briefing for January, Euromonitor takes a look at what the year ahead has in store for the global brewing industry....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research