PORTGUAL: Storms hit Port crops - report
Severe storms in Portugal last week have destroyed much of the Port wine crop in the north of the country, according to local reports.
According to an Associated Press report late last week, local officials said that up to 80% of the Port wine crops in their districts was lost in the storms.
Officials at the Portuguese government's Port and Douro Wines Institute, which gathers information on the industry, could not be reached for comment when contacted by just-drinks today (19 June).
The AP report said that almost 2,500 acres of vineyards in the councils of Alijo, Sao Joao da Pesqueira and Sabrosa, have been affected. The districts are among the most important port-producing regions.
In Sabrosa, losses were close to 80%, Mayor Jose Manuel Marques told Associated Press.
"Eight of our 15 parishes are heavily compromised with many farmers affected," Marques was quoted as saying. "We are still assessing damages but I can say that some 80% of our production has been destroyed alongside other crops."
Kicking off just-drinks' 2006 harvest reports from northern hemisphere wine regions, Chris Losh takes a look at the contrasting fortunes experienced this year by Spanish and Portuguese wine producers....
Bordeaux not only has the most famous, most expensive wines in the world but casts a broad shadow, much to the chagrin of its competitors. Chris Losh sympathises with Bordeaux's less famous rivals as ...
The Port industry is currently facing a period of considerable change and adjustment. Innovation and evolving a modern, viable industry structure are seen as vital if Port is to compete effectively in...
Isbre Holding Corp. has secured distribution for its namesake spring water in the US state of Delaware....
South Africa and the European Union are hoping to meet early next year to settle the issue of geographical indicators and trademarks....
Lotte Chilsung Beverage Co., part of the South Korean combine Lotte Group, has announced that it intends to set up a holding company in China in a bid to gain a presence in the Chinese beverage and co...
Diageo has released a batch of limited-edition malts with a collective age of nearly 200 years....
Multi-media company Firesky Media is set to enter the wine industry....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report