RUSSIA: Stolichnaya vodka heading to US buyer?
US-based buyers would likely be favourites in an auction for Stolichnaya, one senior analyst has told just-drinks, but any potential sale remains shrouded in secrecy.
"It looks like being a US deal if it's a deal at all," said the analyst today (29 July), adding it was still hard to put a figure on a sale because "no one knows exactly what is for sale".
His comments follow a report in the Scotland on Sunday newspaper this weekend suggesting Stolichnaya's Russian owners Soyuzplodimport (SPI Group), may make GBP1.5bn (US$2.97bn) out of a sale.
Pernod has to end its Stolichnaya agreement to satisfy US competition authorities, and chief executive Pierre Pringuet announced last week this would be completed within "a maximum of six months".
SPI minority shareholder Andrey Skurikhin was reported to have said in an interview last month that Stolichnaya was seeking a US importer, but not an international distribution partner. Stolichnaya accounts for around 5% of the US vodka market.
Tax hikes have taken centre stage in discussions between the alcohol industry and several national and state governments around the world over the last year. Michelle Russell reports on a global trend...
January may be the time to look forward to the coming year but few in the drinks industry will be eyeing the coming year with relish. However, given the pessimistic tone of virtually every market and ...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Sweden-based distributor Nigab is to handle Foster's wine brands in the Nordic duty-free and travel retail sectors....
Nick Blair, wine director for Pernod Ricard in the UK, is to be the new chairman of the London International Wine Fair and its sister show, Distil....
Pernod Ricard has announced that Eric Benoist, current marketing head for Martell Perrier-Jouet, will replace Martin Riley as marketing director as Chivas Brothers....
Pernod Ricard has appointed Martin Riley, head of marketing for its Chivas Brothers division, as the group's new vice president of global marketing....
Russian Standard has said that its vodka will be distributed in Greece by Amvyx, the spirits distributor that this week severed ties with Pernod Ricard brands, including Absolut....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- New CEO sparks optimism at Coca-Cola - Analysis
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Johnnie Walker Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish - NPD
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report