DENMARK: Tuborg's famous Thirsty Man: Still thirsty after all these years
Tuborg's famous Thirsty Man has been waiting for a drink for 100 years this month.The character first appeared in Denmark as an advertising poster during November 1900, but the rather overweight character seen wiping the sweat from his brow has since been used on both posters and labels to sell Tuborg to customers in many countries.The Thirsty Man was entered by the artist Erik Henningsen in a poster competition held to celebrate Tuborg's 25th anniversary.He failed to win any of the prizes, but his potential was seen by journalists and Tuborg's managing director, who realised that the poster could be used to set drinkers' thoughts racing towards a cold glass of Tuborg.The popularity of the poster was added to in 1977 when Den Store Tuborg (The Big Tuborg) half-litre bottle was launched using the image as a label. The poster is still one of the most popular sold in Denmark.The image of the Thirsty Man has also been used to great effect in Germany, where Tuborg is the leading imported beer.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research