UK/INDIA: Still more to do on United Spirits deal - Diageo
Diageo is still waiting on SEBI clearance
Yesterday (28 February), the Competition Commission of India (CCI) said on its website that it has cleared Diageo's INR111.7bn (US$2.05bn) buy of a majority share in United Spirits. However, Diageo told just-drinks today that it is still waiting for clearance from the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
A spokesperson said: “I can confirm that Diageo has received CCI approval. SEBI clearance has not been received; we have received SEBI's letter of observations and are responding to it.”
Last month, SEBI confirmed on its website that it had sent Diageo a "letter of observation", but its comments on the deal are not public.
Diageo also requires approval from India's central bank, the Reserve Bank of India, before it can launch the tender offer. The spokesperson said: “We intend to launch the mandatory tender offer within 12 working days of the receipt of all applicable statutory approvals.”
Diageo announced its long-expected play for a stake in United Spirits in November.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets