RUSSIA: State to make cheap ‘people’s vodka’
The state-owned alcohol producer in Russia is looking to produce a cheap vodka for the country, according to local reports.
Speaking to the Echo of Moscow radio station cited a spokesperson for Rosspirtprom yesterday (21 November) saying that the 'people's vodka' will be cheap, but safe.
Dmitry Dobrov, the head of Rosspirtprom's information department, told the radio station that the spirit will retail for around RUB60 (US$3) per half-litre bottle.
"The price of a vodka bottle at a distillery will make up RUB53," he told the radio station. "It will include a prime cost and taxes. Rosspirtprom will get no revenue from this project."
Russia has seen scores of deaths in recent weeks from alcohol poisoning as drinkers die from liver failure after drinking bootleg vodka often laced with industrial solvent.
Fourteen towns in the Irkutsk region of Siberia have declared a state of emergency, amid an upsurge in mass poisonings caused by the fake vodka. In the Orenburg region, 22 people died of alcohol-induced hepatitis in October.
Earlier this month, Gennady Onishchenko, who heads Russia's Federal Consumer Protection Service, claimed that the recent wave of alcohol-related health problems was a coordinated campaign by bootleggers aimed at disrupting a crackdown on the sale of illegal alcohol.
Little can be done to stop the demand for such products, however, since many poor people can afford little else, Onishchenko added. "The people who are getting poisoned have below-average incomes. Most of them are alcoholics and will keep on drinking."
Blended Scotch whisky producers are banking on emerging markets to provide the growth to offset flat or declining sales elsewhere but a new report from just-drinks suggests this cannot be expected as ...
Anheuser-Busch has stopped making its drink Spykes due to its "limited volume potential and unfounded criticism"....
Eckes AG has sold Stock Plzen in Czech, according to reports....
Brick Brewing Co. is set to brew Tiger Malt non-alcoholic beer in Canada....
Polmos Lublin has posted a very strong start to 2007....
Diageo has added an eleventh flavour variant to its Smirnoff vodka brand in the US....
India's UB Group has finally succeeded in snapping up Whyte & Mackay....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair…...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- China to axe duty on Australian wine
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls out of LWF 2015
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research