JAPAN/TAIWAN: Starbucks launches RTD coffee
Starbucks Coffee Company has launched a ready-to-drink (RTD) coffee beverage in Japan and Taiwan, the first time it has marketed an RTD outside North America.
Starbucks Discoveries, a ready-to-drink chilled cup of coffee, is initially available in two flavours, Seattle (latte) and Milano (espresso). It is being launched in the Tokyo metropolitan area and in selected convenience stores in Taiwan.
Starbucks has teamed up with Suntory in the manufacture and distribution of Starbucks Discoveries in Japan.
For the Taiwanese market, it has entered into a distribution agreement with its joint venture partner, President Starbucks Coffee Taiwan Limited, for the marketing and distribution of Starbucks Discoveries. In Taiwan, the RTD will be produced by Uni-President Enterprises Corporation, one of the country's leading food and beverage companies.
"Starbucks Discoveries is a high quality coffee beverage, crafted with the same care and attention to detail our customers have come to expect from us," said Gerry Lopez, president, Starbucks Global Consumer Products. "Expanding into this new channel in Asia helps to strengthen the Starbucks brand and reinforces our reputation for innovation, coffee quality and expertise."
Starbucks first moved into RTDs in 1996, with the launch of the bottled Starbucks Frappuccino coffee drink through a joint venture with PepsiCo, and later introduced the Starbucks DoubleShot espresso drink. Both have proved successful in the ready-to-drink coffee category in the US.
Spirits company Blavod Extreme Spirits and the Japanese drinks group Suntory recently announced the formation of a joint venture to develop and market new spirits brands. Chris Brook-Carter spoke with...
Suntory is to construct a new soft drinks facility in Japan....
Suntory has failed to declare JPY760m (US$6.5m) in taxable income for a four-year period ending December 2003, according to local reports....
Skyy Spirits has secured US distribution rights for a stable of brands owned by Japan's Suntory....
Suntory International Corp. is to release three types of shochu in the US....
The Blavod Extreme Spirits joint venture Diamante Spirits is to produce and market a new Tequila, El Diamante del Cielo (Diamond in the Sky). The new product will have a retail value between US$45-60 ...
Blavod Extreme Spirits has agreed to form a joint venture company with Suntory International Corp, the US subsidiary of Suntory Limited. ...
Suntory Ltd is to suspend sales of its Bubbleman Soda Jet soft drink....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future