CZECH/UK: StarBev takes Staropramen from Anheuser-Busch InBev, gives to Carlsberg
Carlsberg will take control of Staropramen in the UK from Anheuser-Busch InBev next month
The company, which came about when private equity group CVC Capital acquired a slew of A-B InBev's Eastern European brewing assets in 2009, announced the change today (21 July). Carlsberg will take over the importation, marketing and distribution of the Czech lager brand from 14 August.
Alain Beyens, formerly of A-B InBev but now Starbev's CEO, said: “Our partnership with Carlsberg UK is a strategic one and is meant to add significantly to the international development of Staropramen. We look forward to working together with our UK partner to this end."
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for A-B InBev UK said the decision was “mutually agreed”.
“This decision gives us the opportunity to focus on our wholly-owned brands that include Stella Artois, Budweiser and Beck’s,” the spokesperson added. “We are proud to have distributed the Staropramen brand in the UK and wish StarBev the best of luck with their new distribution arrangement.”
I can't help but feel slightly bemused by the furore surrounding a report that Anheuser-Busch InBev paid a communications agency to change details on a Wikipedia page for one of its brands....
Rémy Sharps is the new commercial director of Carlsberg's Kronenbourg subsidiary....
Craft Brewers Alliance has reaffirmed its full-year guidance for 2011....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research