UK: Sport, music alcohol tie-ups under spotlight with new code
The Portman Group code comes into force today
Drinks companies that sponsor sport, music and cultural events in the UK will be monitored under a new industry code being introduced today (31 January).
The code ask companies to "use their reasonable endeavours to obtain data on the expected participants, audience or spectator profile (at events) to ensure that at least the aggregate of 75% are aged over 18".
Asked about sanctions, a Portman Group spokesperson said producers will “risk significant reputational damage if they break the new code through negative publicity with the financial cost of having to renegotiate a sponsorship agreement or withdrawing it completely”.
The spokesperson added: “There is a further long-term risk to brands in that no leading venue, event or team will want to be associated with an irresponsible drinks company.”
However, there is no direct financial penalty for a breach of the code. And where a complaint is resolved on a fast-track basis, it will not be made public.
In Ireland, a proposed ban on alcohol sponsorship of sport has been deferred by the Government. Former Diageo CEO Paul Walsh previously branded the ban "ridiculous".
Predictably, the ever-vigilant UK charity Alcohol Concern has complained about the TV ad for Diageo's David Beckham-backed Scotch whisky, Haig Club. ...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research