US: Spirits sector sees "squeezed middle" in on-trade sales
The study used POS data from bars and restaurants
The "super premium" and "value" end of the US spirits market have grabbed on-trade sales in the US from an underperforming middle, a new study claims.
The top and bottom ends both gained 40 basis points of market share in the spirits category, according to sales data from bars and restaurants collected by GuestMetrics.
“Premium” lost 80 basis points while “high-end premium” remained flat, GuestMetrics said today (28 November).
"Super premium" vodka is recognised as a 9-litre case that costs more than US$170, while "value" is a case between $1-$70.
GuestMetrics CEO Bill Pecoriello said the results, based on a database of point-of-sale transactions, look familiar.
“This disparity in share performance across the four price segments in spirits suggests a hollowing out the middle, which is consistent with what we’ve been seeing in other consumer products categories, even outside of the alcohol and beverage space,” Pecoriello said.
“The consumer appears to be making a decision to either trade up to more expensive brands in the spirits category that have greater differentiation, or conversely, to trade down to value brands.”
Another GuestMetrics study released earlier this week claimed craft beers are taking sales from premium and import beers in the US on-trade.
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts