US: Spirits sector sees "squeezed middle" in on-trade sales
The study used POS data from bars and restaurants
The "super premium" and "value" end of the US spirits market have grabbed on-trade sales in the US from an underperforming middle, a new study claims.
The top and bottom ends both gained 40 basis points of market share in the spirits category, according to sales data from bars and restaurants collected by GuestMetrics.
“Premium” lost 80 basis points while “high-end premium” remained flat, GuestMetrics said today (28 November).
"Super premium" vodka is recognised as a 9-litre case that costs more than US$170, while "value" is a case between $1-$70.
GuestMetrics CEO Bill Pecoriello said the results, based on a database of point-of-sale transactions, look familiar.
“This disparity in share performance across the four price segments in spirits suggests a hollowing out the middle, which is consistent with what we’ve been seeing in other consumer products categories, even outside of the alcohol and beverage space,” Pecoriello said.
“The consumer appears to be making a decision to either trade up to more expensive brands in the spirits category that have greater differentiation, or conversely, to trade down to value brands.”
Another GuestMetrics study released earlier this week claimed craft beers are taking sales from premium and import beers in the US on-trade.
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research