TRAVEL RETAIL: Spirits sales climb but wine goes flat
The IWSR report highlighted Asia-Pacific as a key driver of growth
An expanding duty free spirits market in Asia-Pacific helped push global travel retail liquor sales up last year by 7%, a new study has revealed.
But the growth came in spite of wine, which stagnated in 2011, according to the IWSR’s Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2012, released today (20 August). Travel retail spirits sales grew by 10.0% in 2011 compared to the year before, the report said.
Last year, spirits volumes grew by 13.5% year-on-year while wine sales increased by 3.7%.
Sales in both Asia-Pacific and Americas surpassed 5m cases for the first time in 2011 and the regions now account for 38.2% of global sales, up from 36.8% in 2010, the report said.
Demand from Chinese travellers drove total Asia-Pacific sales up by 11.8%, despite the earthquake in Japan last year that saw flights to the country drop, the report said.
The US boasted strong growth in whiskey, Cognac and tequila, while the continued strength of the Caribbean cruise sector helped total wine and spirits sales grow by 11.8% in the Americas.
IWSR, which publishes a range of annual reports on the beverage market, said the super-premium-and-above were the fastest-growing spirits sectors. Spirits account for 72.6% of total duty free alcohol sales, the report said.
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research