TRAVEL RETAIL: Spirits sales climb but wine goes flat
The IWSR report highlighted Asia-Pacific as a key driver of growth
An expanding duty free spirits market in Asia-Pacific helped push global travel retail liquor sales up last year by 7%, a new study has revealed.
But the growth came in spite of wine, which stagnated in 2011, according to the IWSR’s Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2012, released today (20 August). Travel retail spirits sales grew by 10.0% in 2011 compared to the year before, the report said.
Last year, spirits volumes grew by 13.5% year-on-year while wine sales increased by 3.7%.
Sales in both Asia-Pacific and Americas surpassed 5m cases for the first time in 2011 and the regions now account for 38.2% of global sales, up from 36.8% in 2010, the report said.
Demand from Chinese travellers drove total Asia-Pacific sales up by 11.8%, despite the earthquake in Japan last year that saw flights to the country drop, the report said.
The US boasted strong growth in whiskey, Cognac and tequila, while the continued strength of the Caribbean cruise sector helped total wine and spirits sales grow by 11.8% in the Americas.
IWSR, which publishes a range of annual reports on the beverage market, said the super-premium-and-above were the fastest-growing spirits sectors. Spirits account for 72.6% of total duty free alcohol sales, the report said.
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020