RUSSIA: Spirits producers line Russia's path to WTO club
European spirits trade body, CEPS, has welcomed the likely accession of Russia to the World Trade Organisation.
Russia and Georgia resolved a trade dispute over the weekend, removing what was seen as the last key obstacle preventing Russia’s membership of the World Trade Organisation (WTO). Russia could enter the WTO club at the body's ministerial meeting in Geneva on 15 December.
This would likely lead to Russia reducing a whole range of import tariffs, including on Scotch whisky. It would also agreed to adopt internationally-agreed rules on licensing, guarantees, technical regulations and health standards.
CEPS spokesperson Marie Audren told just-drinks today (8 November): “The accession of Russia…represents a significant opportunity for European spirits exporters. Russia is one of the largest spirits export markets,” she said, valuing European spirits exports to the country at around EUR400m (US$551.5m).
The Scotch Whisky Association is also happy, although spokesperson Rosemary Gallagher warned Russian membership in December is not certain - Ukraine has voiced fresh concerns. Russia is currently the seventh most valuable export market for Scotch: worth GBP130m (US$209m) in 2010.
The recent release of export numbers for Scotch whisky appeared to be cause to celebrate for the category. But, as Ian Buxton warns, the devil is in the detail....
The head of the Confederation of Indian Alcoholic Beverage Companies (CIABC) has warned that the thorny issue of imported alcohol duty is no nearer to being resolved....
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has declined a request from Brazilian export association CitrusBR to temporarily allow a higher tolerance of the banned fungicide carbendazim in juice imports...
A free trade agreement between India and the European Union, which could include lower import tariffs on wines and spirits, could still be some way off as the two sides prepare to meet in New Delhi....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research