UK: Spirits groups in anti-fraud agreement
The Gin and Vodka Association is to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) designed to cement co-operation in tackling alcohol fraud and smuggling into and out of the UK.
"I welcome the signing today (19 October) of the MoUs between the Gin and Vodka Association and HMRC," said Edwin Atkinson, director general of the Gin and Vodka Association. "Because gin and vodka is the largest sector in the UK spirits market, the industry is well placed to provide information that could have a significant impact on spirits fraud and these agreements reflect this.
"The Association has worked in close co-operation with HMRC for some time now and our continuing support through these MoUs will prove to be a valuable tool in combating fraud and the criminals who profit from it."
The Gin and Vodka association said UK spirits producers will be actively working with HMRC to tackle the spirits fraud problem, particularly large scale freight diversion frauds.
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) is also poised to sign a similar agreement with HMRC.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
Alcohol intake amongst young female adults in the UK continues to rise and shows no signs of abating, according to a recent report....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends