SLOVAKIA: SPI Group to fight on in Stolichnaya row
Slovakia has not violated the rights of SPI Group to the Stolichnaya vodka trademark, the country's Constitutional Court has ruled.
SPI Group failed to win the case because it had not first secured a ruling from a lower court declaring it the owner of the Stolichnaya trademark, the Constitutional Court ruled last week.
The case forms part of a long-running dispute between SPI Group and Russia's state-owned group FKP Soyuzplodoimport over rights to the Stolichnaya name. Legal battles are ongoing in approximately 20 European countries.
A spokesman for SPI welcomed the Slovakia ruling this week as an indication that the firm can still win if it approaches a lower court. "It means that the case is far from over and that it should be resolved in Slovakia's judicial system", he told just-drinks.
FKP Soyuzplodoimport could not be reached for comment.
Wine and spirit maker Constellation Brands has signed multiyear deals with four distributors in the US in a bid to streamline its distribution network....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Heaven Hill Distilleries is to release the third edition of its Parker's Heritage Collection in the US....
Moët Hennessy has unveiled a new 'premium' spirit under its Belvedere vodka brand designed for nightclubs and 'high-end' members bars....
William Grant & Sons has taken on a former member of Pernod Ricard's Stolichnaya Brand Organisation to become commercial director for the brand....
European Union (EU) drinks exports to the US are under pressure, according to economic analysis from the European Commission....
Pernod Ricard has confirmed the appointment of a new head for its operations in Switzerland....
Pernod Ricard has said that it expects like-for-like sales to be broadly flat for its fiscal full-year, but operating profits will hit guidance thanks to lower advertising spend....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends