US: SPI Group to end Stolichnaya deal with William Grant & Sons
William Grant & Sons has distributed Stolichnaya in the US since 2009
The US marketing, distribution and importation deal for the vodka brand will not be renewed when it expires on 31 December next year, the two companies said yesterday (15 November). SPI said the decision is a result of its desire to directly manage its own brands.
“With our own importing company we are in charge of our own future and will be able to exploit all opportunities of growth in the US,” SPI CEO Val Mendeleev told just-drinks. “We are an entrepreneurial company and this was a natural move, part of a long-term strategy of growth.”
SPI said it will set up the new unit throughout next year and start operations on 1 January 2014.
William Grant's US unit has handled Stolichnaya in the country since January 2009. Previous distributor and marketer Pernod Ricard ended its arrangement with SPI after it failed to acquire Stolichnaya outright and bought Absolut vodka owner Vin & Sprit instead, in 2008.
SPI signed the distribution deal with William Grant after months of speculation over who would seal the Stolichnaya contract for the US.
In yesterday's statement, William Grant said it is "proud of the many accomplishments" it has achieved with Stolichnaya.
Yesterday evening, the Worshipful Company of Distillers hosted a debate in London about gin. Up for discussion was the question: "Gin: A tortuous history with a brilliant future?"...
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)