LUXEMBOURG: SPI Group keen to extend global wine presence
SPI Group has announced itself open to acquiring businesses that would boost its global wine portfolio.
The Luxembourg-headquartered company, which owns the Stolichnaya vodka brand, said earlier today (26 September) that it is looking to “further diversify its spirit portfolio through the acquisition of exclusive and premium wineries located throughout the world”. SPI's owner, Russian businessman Yuri Shefler, is handling the hunt for suitable targets.
“We are carefully evaluating multiple opportunities which will allow SPI to enrich its portfolio of jewel wines and develop this part of our company,” said company CEO Val Mendeleev.
Financial details behind the privately-held company's intentions were not disclosed, although SPI said it is evaluating opportunities in California, Spain, Portugal and Chile.
In 2006, SPI Group acquired a stake in the Tenuta dell'Ornellaia, Castelgiocondo and Luce della Vite estates, all part of the Marchesi de'Frescobaldi family holdings. This was followed in 2011 by the purchase of a “significant” stake in Argentine winery Achaval-Ferrer.
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
Cider/perry sales remain negligible in Uzbekistan due to a lack of awareness of such products and very limited demand....
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
RTDs/high-strength premixes sales are negligible in Uzbekistan....
The popularity of wine is limited in Uzbekistan, with consumption typically being restricted to certain traditional events such as wedding ceremonies. The main force driving sales is the fact that the...
Spirits sales continue to be boosted by rising consumer living standards – a development which is key considering the recent ban on the advertising of alcoholic drinks. Rising living standards are res...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part III: Soft Drinks
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018