SWEDEN: Spendrups warns of closures
Spendrups Bryggeri may have to close one of its breweries as Sweden's brewery sector continues to suffer. The Swedish brewer said last week that it plans to cut around 70 jobs at its factories in Varby, eastern Sweden, and Grangesberg central Sweden.
One of the two plants may have to close, according to the company's CEO Jens Spendrup, as sales fell considerably in the first two months of this year.
The high beer and alcohol taxes in Sweden have hit the industry hard, as cross-border alcohol trade resulted in every third strong beer in the country having been illegally imported.
Spendrups is not the only brewer looking to shed jobs, however. Carlsberg announced late last year that it plans to close its Stockholm plant by October this year. Local Abro Bryggeri has also had to reduce its workforce to 250 from 400 since 1995.
Last month, Spendrups announced that it is to form a strategic alliance with Denmark's Bryggerigruppen and Norway's Hansa Borg to challenge Carlsberg's leading position in the Scandinavian markets.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Alcohol intake amongst young female adults in the UK continues to rise and shows no signs of abating, according to a recent report....
Cobra Beer has launched an alcohol-free beer in South Africa, the UK and in its European and Asian export markets....
Carlsberg Sverige is looking to introduce a lemon-flavoured beer to the Swedish market....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits