SPAIN/EU: Spanish winery gets trademark boost
Bodegas Franco-Españolas may be allowed to use the Royal name after the European Court of Justice overturned an earlier ruling that blocked the Spanish winery from registering the trademark.
The ECJ annulled a decision by the EU's Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market (OHIM), which had refused to allow Bodegas Franco-Españolas to use the name for its Rioja wines.
The OHIM had ruled that the Royal name could be confused with a series of products owned by Portugal's Companhia Geral da Agricultura das Vinhas do Alto Douro. The Portuguese company's brands include Royal Brande brandy and Royal Feitoria Port.
However, the ECJ ruled that there is a "clear difference between the products concerned".
Wine production in the Northern Hemisphere remains dogged by over-production, but according to a recent report published by just-drinks, there is plenty of opportunity for innovative and consumer-awar...
Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) has unveiled a revamp of its Glenmorangie single malt Scotch whisky range....
US wine consumption rose 3.4% in 2006, continuing the sector's climb for the 13th consecutive year, according to research out this week....
The European Union (EU) and Australia have inked a new bilateral agreement on trading wine....
Cameron Family Glass Packaging has completed a deal allowing it to build a glass plant manufacturing glass exclusively for the wine industry....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has lined up a sailing sponsorship package in the UK for its Cockburn's Port brand....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirit Fair......
Bruichladdich has posted an almost one-third increase in full-year profits....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report