BELGIUM: Spain granted crisis distillation
European Union (EU) Ariculture Commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel has highlighted yet another decision to distil quality European wine as evidence of the need to reform the EU's antiquated wine market system.
Brussels has ordered that up to 185,000 hectolitres of Spanish wine should go into subsidised crisis distillation, at a fixed price of EUR3 per percentage alcohol content per hectolitre of distilled wine.
"Once more, we have had to eliminate excess stocks of quality wine by distillation," Fischer Boel said today (13 October). "This is exactly why it is necessary to proceed urgently with a root-and-branch reform of our wine market system."
Kicking off just-drinks’ 2006 harvest reports from northern hemisphere wine regions, Chris Losh takes a look at the contrasting fortunes experienced this year by Spanish and Portuguese wine producers....
The biennial IFE trade show in London has over the years been the initial launch pad for many successful brands and heralded numerous mainstream trends in the soft drinks sector. Annette Farr visited ...
A US consumer watchdog has attacked Anheuser-Busch for its "kid-friendly" marketing of Spykes....
Japanese beverage alcohol wholesaler Izmic Corp. has reportedly bought rival firm Yoshikawasyuhan Corp. for an undisclosed sum....
Sweden's Finance Ministry has confirmed that an official close to the planned privatisation of V&S Group has resigned....
V&S Group is set to beef up its distribution network in the Nordic region with the acquisition of Norwegian wine and spirits distributor Amundsen....
Only one drinks company in the US refused to pull its adverts in the second half of last year when challenged by the Distilled Spirits Council (DISCUS)....
UK regional brewer Greene King has launched what it claims to be the first bottled English speciality beer....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends