RUSSIA: Soyuzplodimport attacks Cristall vodka
The state-owned vodka group Soyuzplodimport has unexpectedly turned the attentions of its lawyers away from its long-standing adversary, the privately-owned SPI, and instead filed a complaint against the registration of the trademark Cristall.
According to reports in the Russian business daily Vedomosti, which cited a source from the state trademark and patent agency Rospatent, Soyuzplodimport argues that 'Cristall' is similar to the point of confusion to one of its trademarks - Kristal.
There are some 13 vodkas in the Cristall 'black label' range of premium vodkas from Cristall's distillery in Kaluga. Kristall Trade and Industrial Group, the business that owns the brand, is estimated to make around US$400m a year.
Soyuzplodoimport spokesman Vladimir Uvatenko told the Moscow Times that he was unable to elaborate on the government's case. However he did say that the Kristal trademark had belonged to the state "since time immemorial."
The Moscow Times also quoted Yakov Mastinsky, a lawyer for the Kristall Trade and Industrial Group, saying: "Soyuzplodoimport has no legal or factual basis for disputing [this registration].
"Why are they doing this? Before they were involved only with SPI, but today they are objecting to a trademark belonging to us. The management of the group considers this action an attempt to camouflage their business failures."
The case is due to be heard by the chamber for patent disputes on Feb. 16.
Until now, Soyuzplodoimport's legal battles with its rivals have been focussed on SPI, the private group, which holds the international rights to the most successful Russian brands globally, Stolichnaya and Moskovskaya.
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research