UK: Southern Comfort stakes claim to February
The company announced last week that it will roll out a television campaign for Southern Comfort from November in the country supported by radio, online and national print advertising. It follows Brown-Forman's efforts to support Southern Comfort's colloquial bar name 'SoCo' across the UK since its popularity with consumers in the US.
"Around GBP2m (US$4m) will be invested in the remainder of the year, predominantly in November and December," a spokesperson for Southern Comfort's owner, Brown-Forman, said. "TV will be our main medium. Historically, over the past two years we have been the number one spirit advertiser on TV. Our intention is that we will be again."
In addition to the spend supporting the brand's new image, the company gestured towards its intentions to stake its claim on the consumer's calendar with Southern Comfort linking to Mardi Gras.
The wine and spirits group explained that it had "looked around at what was happening in the industry and what could be learnt from Guinness and its association with St Patrick's Day, or Jack Daniels celebrating Jack's birthday in September and saw themes were coming out, with brands owning the same space and time on the calendar year in, year out."
The company added: "We're a proud brand, we're from New Orleans and we thought: 'You know what? February is Mardi Gras, what a great opportunity to start leveraging that property and that time of year'. We believe it's a great opportunity to own February and really rejuvenate that slow period post-January. It's not just a one-off, we're looking to make this an annual part of our brand activity."
Brown-Forman has declared its regular quarterly cash dividend....
Diageo has appointed a new general manager for Eastern Europe....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Brown-Forman has moved to clarify the recent announcement that it is terminating two marketing agreements in the US....
Brown-Forman has confirmed the termination of two marketing agreements in the US. The company said yesterday (7 January) that its collaborations with Wray & Nephew and Distell Group in the country are...
Diageo is considering plans to brew its stout brand Guinness in India....
Brown-Forman has reported a healthy lift in operatng profit for its third quarter, thanks in part to its purchase of Casa Herrdura....
US spirits and wine marketer Brown-Forman has announced the appointment of Ralph de Chabert to the newly created position of chief diversity officer, with effect from 18 December....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends