UK: Southcorp ends Matthew Clark distribution deal
Southcorp said today that it would accept an undisclosed sum to terminate the UK on-trade distribution contract 14 months early. Southcorp said it couldn't reveal the size of the payout, as Matthew Clark requested the information not be released. However, it will be booked in Southcorp's 2002-03 financial accounts
The Matthew Clark deal had covered most of Southcorp's UK on-trade distribution, and represented about 7% of Southcorp's UK business by value in financial 2002.
Southcorp will instead assume direct responsibility for a number of its larger clients. It may also mean a portfolio shake-out in the UK.
Europe president Jeffrey Wilkinson said: "The change facilitated by the termination of current arrangements gives us the opportunity to modify our product mix, remove some lower value wines, thereby enhancing our product offering to the on-premise market," he said.
Southcorp will assume direct responsibility for a number of large on-trade customers from May 1. Its remaining brands will continue to be available through Matthew Clark until June 30. Then from July 1, Matthew Clark will continue wholesale distribution arrangements for Penfolds, Wynns and Coonawarra Estate, but on a nonexclusive basis.
Southcorp will put in place new arrangements for brands including Rosemount, Lindemans, Seppelt and Seaview. "By that time [July 1st], Southcorp expects to have concluded direct supply relationships with a number of other U.K. wholesalers to facilitate a broader access to the U.K. on-trade market," the Australian company said in a statement.
Companies: Constellation Brands
A consortium led by Constellation Brands has made a tentative approach for Allied Domecq....
The Board of Directors of Constellation Brands, Inc. has declared a quarterly dividend on the company's 5.75% Series A Mandatory Convertible Preferred Stock, payable on 1 June, to shareholders of reco...
Constellation is expected to launch a counter-bid for Allied Domecq by the end of this month, according to press reports....
The Hardy Wine Company has posted a record grape harvest....
Constellation Brands is to launch a new Australian wine brand onto the US market through its North Lake Wines. The wine will be called Kelly's Revenge....
A host of drinks companies spent the weekend mulling over whether to launch counter-bids for Allied Domecq, according to press reports over the last few days....
This weekend's press reports have thrown up two other interested parties in the potential Allied Domecq carve-up....
Constellation Brands is interested in some of Allied Domecq's spirits brands, according to reports today (15 April)....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research