SOUTH AFRICA: South African wine sales up in UK
South Africa sold more wine than Spain in the UK between January and August this year, moving up into fifth slot behind Germany, according to Wines of South Africa.
Cape wines have grown from 6.8% for that period last year to 8.4% this year, moving ahead of Spain at 8.1%, said Su Birch, CEO of WOSA, quoting the most recent AC Neilson statistics.
The French still led the rankings followed by Australia, Italy and Germany.
It was hoped that these figures would be bolstered next year with the Cape Wine 2002 exhibition to be held in Paarl next April, where it was hoped some 500 specialist foreign wine and media from the UK, Europe, North America and the Far East would attend.
Having arguably failed to reach their potential in the US, following a phenomenal start in California, the "smoothie" has become a major success story in the UK soft drinks market. So much so, accordi...
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
Cerveceria Chile saw its domestic market share leap last month, according to recent figures....
Average per capita wine consumption in Italy has dropped by over a half in the last 33 years, according to recent figures....
The sale of mineral water at retail level in Switzerland has fallen 10% in the year to May....
Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has had its rating upgraded....
Carlsberg has renewed its sponsorship with European Champions League winners Liverpool....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Global Travel Retail - What is the Grey Market?
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard pairs Usain Bolt with Mumm Champagne