UK: Soft drinks, water exports down in 2012 - figures
Water exports fell among UK producers in 2012
UK exports of soft drinks and water both fell in 2012, but fruit juice sales overseas were up, according to latest figures.
International sales of UK-produced waters dropped by 17.1% to GBP28m (US$42.3m) in the 12 months, the Food and Drink Federation revealed yesterday (18 March) in a report. Sales of soft drinks were down by 7.3% to GBP345m in the period.
Ireland remained the biggest market for soft drinks exports, but sales still fell, by 10.4% to GBP189m. In France, demand dived as sales from the UK were down by 47.7% to GBP16m.
However, soft drinks exports to non-EU countries performed well, with sales up by 11.5% to GBP87m.
While UK water sales to Ireland fell by 42.5% to GBP8m in 2012, there was strong demand in the United Arab Emirates, with companies reporting export sales up 45.7% to GBP2m. Exports to “other” non-EU markets climbed by 14.7% to GBP12m.
Friut juice exports by UK producers rose by 5.9% to GBP56m, with Germany leading growth, up 234% to GBP4m.
FDF's economic & commercial services director, Steve Barnes, said:“Despite a very tough trading year, food and drink exports remain resilient ... the continued contraction of key EU markets had a significant impact on overall performance."
“Nevertheless, food and drink manufacturers have continued to make strong in-roads abroad, travelling further afield to drive sales of British-made products.”
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts