PHILIPPINES: Soft drinks manufacturers suffer as unrest continues
Industry sources in the Philippines are saying unrest in the large, southern island of Mindanao has shaken consumer confidence and soft drink manufacturers are suffering.Apparently in the past two months there have been about 30 bombings and frequent kidnappings and according to sources: "The fear of kidnapping is very real and the unrest has made distribution of goods extremely difficult."Three typhoons in the past 12 days has put much of the country under water and with an economy apparently sluggish and even receding, manufacturers of consumer goods are suffering.Business analysts are still casting doubt over rumours that Coca-Cola Amatil may sell its Philippines business to one of its major shareholders the San Miguel Corp.According to analysts both San Miguel and the Coca-Cola Co. could face massive losses on their CCA shareholdings because of the sharp deterioration in CCA's share price over the past 12 months. Apparently if the rumours are true, it would leave CCA cashed up, but without exposure to major developing markets and long term earnings growth.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages