US: Soft drinks lobby group launches new healthier options campaign
The American Beverage Association (ABA) has launched a fightback against adverts linking soft drinks to obesity with a campaign highlighting the healthier options the industry is offering.
The 'Delivering Choices' campaign pushes the message that companies such as Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo are offering consumers smaller portions and fewer calories in their products. The initiative is being promoted through advertising on television, websites and public transport across the US.
One of the TV advert ends with the line: “With more choices and fewer calories, America's beverage companies are delivering.”
The campaign, which includes a Facebook page, is being seen as a response by the ABA to an anti-obesity campaign – 'Pouring on the Pounds' - launched by the the New York City Health Department in January, which featured cups of soft drinks.
The city's health department said it hoped the campaign would "provide New Yorkers with the information they need to make healthier choices".
The Delivering Choices website says: “Our industry's products and ingredients often take unwarranted hits from the media when it comes to the study of the day.”
This month, Ray Rowlands, from independent beverage research company Drinksinfo, takes a closer look at the massive and constantly-expanding Nigerian packaged water market....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends