UK: SodaStream to air black screen in ad protest
SodaStream's previous ad was black-balled by advertising authorities
SodaStream is to air an almost blacked-out screen on prime time UK television tonight after a previous advert failed to win approval from authorities.
The 30-second spot, which can be viewed below, will show SodaStream's latest tagline, its logo and a QR link to the blocked ad against a black background. The ad will run during ITV1 programme “I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here”.
SodaStream said it wants consumers to decide for themselves whether its “SodaStream Effect” ad deserved to be black-balled last week by Clearcast, a broadcaster- and advertiser-led pre-clearance organisation.
“We've made it very clear that we think the decision to ban our global ad is ridiculous,” SodaStream UK’s MD, Fiona Hope, said.
“We are confident that the British consumer is sophisticated enough to recognize that (new ad) “Blackout Bubble” is only a filler ad and that we’re inviting them to see the real advert on YouTube and decide for themselves whether a ban is justified.”
Clearcast said that the clip, which can be viewed here, breached rules because “its visual treatment denigrated other soft drinks”. It was launched in the US three weeks ago and has already aired in a number of countries.
Hope said SodaStream is confident Clearcast's decision will be overturned on appeal next month.
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is single malt the Great White Hope for Scotch?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US