US: SodaStream forced to change Super Bowl ad
An older version of the ad was black-balled in the UK
The “SodaStream Effect” ad, which features workers in Coca-Cola and PepsiCo uniforms, has been barred by Super Bowl broadcaster CBS, a SodaStream spokesperson told just-drinks today (29 January). The ad, which can be viewed below, was "perhaps too provocative regarding the bottled-soda industry", the spokesperson said.
A "refreshed" version will be shown in its place, the spokesperson said.
Coca-Cola and Pepsi will both air adverts during next month's Super Bowl, which this year carries a US$4m price tag for a 30-second slot, according to reports.
A previous version of the SodaStream ad was black-balled in the UK last year because “its visual treatment denigrated other soft drinks”, the country's pre-clearance organisation said. The TV campaign is part of a global push costing US$18m across 45 markets.
The Israel-based company's marketing campaign irked its bigger rivals in South Africa last year when an outdoor installation highlighting how much soft drinks packaging consumers throw away each year used empty Coca-Cola cans. Coca-Cola issued a cease-and-desist letter to SodaStream.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research