ISRAEL: SodaStream ad push drives strong FY performance
- FY net profits up by 60% to US$43.9m
- Net sales in 2012 rise by 51% to $436m
- FY operating profits jump by 59%, hitting US$45.5m
SodaStream launched an US$18m ad campaign last year
SodaStream has posted a big jump in full-year profits and sales as an increased marketing spend ahead of the holiday season led to a record final quarter.
Net profits rose by 60% to US$43.9m in the 12 months to the end of December, the Israeli company said yesterday (20 February). Net sales were up by 55% to $133m over the same period while operating profits increased by 48% to $7.9m.
Fourth-quarter numbers were just as positive. Net profits increased by 42% to $7.5m in the three months and net sales jumped by 55% to $133m. Operating profits rose by 48% to $7.9m.
SodaStream CEO Daniel Birnbaum praised the strong finish to a “record year”, with the company exceeding 1m soda maker sales in a quarter for the first time. “Our efforts throughout 2012 to increase global awareness of our brand and category and expand our retail presence culminated in a very successful holiday season,” Birnbaum said
Sales and marketing expenses for the fourth quarter totalled $52.8m, or 39.7% of sales, compared to $36.4m, or 42.5% of sales, for the comparable period in the prior year, SodaStream said.
Looking ahead, Birnbaum said that SodaStream's ongoing marketing campaign, which included a Super Bowl ad, coupled with its new soda maker “all set the stage for continued growth in 2013 and beyond”.
Despite the healthy results, SodaStream shares dropped yesterday, losing about 6% in value by the end of the day.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
For just-drinks' coverage of SodaStream's results conference call, click here.
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report