PORTUGAL: Soaring costs to raise Port prices
The price of grape spirit used to fortify Port will double as European distillation subsidies are phased out, say producers.
Grape spirit prices increased 50% in 2008 following a reduction in EU distillation subsidies and a small 2007 harvest in traditional distilling regions.
It is estimated that the increase will raise Port prices up to 8%, with further rises likely.
Charles Symington, winemaker at Symington Family Estates, told just-drinks today (16 April): "Spirit prices are likely to go up for the 2009 vintage by another 30% but it will end up 100% more than when it was subsidised."
Adrian Bridge, managing director of the Fladgate Partnership, said: "The distillers understand they can price brandy higher and still get paid. There is not enough competition but in time we will see additional spirit from South America."
A bottle of Port contains 20% grape spirit.
Diageo has fought a successful public relations rearguard action to shut the door on alternatives to its proposed job cuts in Scotland....
Pernod Ricard USA has today (11 August) launched its off-premise value added pack (VAP) line up for the company's core wine and spirit brands for the next season....
Penderyn Distillery's Penderyn Port Wood Single Cask Edition...
Diageo's Talisker 30 Year Old Scotch whisky...
PepsiCo has moved to clarify the reasons behind its blacklisting by a Chinese watchdog which covers product quality of food and drink imports into the country....
Diageo is to press ahead with plans to cut around 10% of its workforce in Scotland, after rejecting an alternative business proposal put forward by ministers and trade unions....
The head of Diageo has warned that the offer of public funding alone will not be enough to reverse the company's decision to cut a net 500 jobs in Scotland....
Opponents to Diageo's plan to cut 10% of its workforce in Scotland have agreed on an alternative business proposal to present to the company, the Scottish Government has said....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China