CHINA: S&N to trial premium brands in China
Scottish & Newcastle has confirmed that it is test marketing some of its international brands in China.
The brewer, which has a 17.5% stake in local brewer Chongqing, confirmed today (1 June) that it will trial Strongbow, Newcastle Brown and Kronenbourg in the market.
Speaking to just-drinks, a spokesperson for the brewer said: "While we already have McEwans available in China, we will be trialling the three brands in selected markets. It makes sense for us to test-market our international premium brands in China."
The spokesperson was keen to highlight, however, that Chongqing remained S&N's top priority. "The premium end of the market is very small compared to the sheer volume of the Cinese beer market," he said. "The main thrust of our business, therefore, will remain Chongqing."
Earlier this year, Chongqing posted net profit for last year of CNY148m (US$19.1m) up over 88% on the year. Sales jumped 21.6% to CNY1.8bn.
There may be many facets to a winning marketing mix, but a strong brand name that captures the consumer's imagination is clearly fundamental. Patience Gould looks at some notable hits and misses to ge...
Constellation's US$885m purchase of Fortune Brands' wine portfolio further adds to the acquisitive US company's impressive line-up. Chris Losh believes the deal makes perfect sense for Constellation, ...
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has announced an addition to its 100 Años Tequila stable in the US....
Britvic has posted a "resilient" set of results for its full year, in spite of the poor weather this summer....
Angostura Holdings has made a friendly bid for a major stake in the parent company of rum producer Wray & Nephew....
The chairman of Remy Cointreau has confirmed that the company is set to create its own distribution company in China and South-East Asia....
Maison Louis Latour has appointed a former Constellation executive as managing director of its UK business....
Magners Irish Cider has launched a Christmas advertising campaign in the UK depicting a Christmas scene of the brand's home town of Clonmel in County Tipperary....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review