INDIA: S&N to invest £60m in Indian joint venture
S&N and UB will each have 40% in the venture and the independent management team of the JV will hold 20%. S&N has also committed to making an investment in the UB brewing business that is to be demerged from the rest of UB.
The UK company said hte investment is likely to be around £60m.
In a statement S&N said: "The agreement reflects S&N's strategy of growing from its strong Western European base through partnerships with local businesses and management who understand the distinctive nature of their own market.
"In India there can be no better strategic partner than the clear market leader UB. The Indian market is an exciting one but it has very particular regulatory and consumer characteristics. The strong management teams of UB and the joint venture have each demonstrated their ability to operate successfully in this market."
India is a beer market of some 5.5m hl and consumption has risen by 10% per annum since 1995. Boosted by regulatory liberalisation in some states, future growth is expected to be even faster, the company said.
The move has sparked speculation in India#;s press that the JV is already on the hunt for acquisitions, particularly in the crucial markets of Andhra Pradesh and Rajasthan.
The combine may also invest in greenfield capacities in three other States - Madhya Pradesh, Orissa and Uttar Pradesh, one newspaper reported.
The second part of a report on the Indian soft drinks market from analysts Euromonitor examines the progress of non-carbonated sectors, looking at the growth of the bottled water category and the pote...
India's largest brewer, United Breweries, is to spend INR4bn (US$90.7m) on boosting its brewing capacity as it aims to keep pace with the country's booming beer market....
The United Breweries-Scottish & Newcastle combine may buy Australian beer maker Foster's franchise in India, according to market sources....
SABMiller has entered into an agreement with the UB Group to market the Indian company's whisky brand Royal Challenge....
UK-based brewing group Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has issued an upbeat trading statement for the first nine months of the year....
United Breweries Group (UB) is planning to launch three more wine brands in the Indian market....
InBev may be entering the Indian market soon through a joint-venture....
Radico Khaitan is in talks to buy some brands from the United Breweries (UB) Group....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018