UK: S&N to close Gateshead bottling ops
Scottish & Newcastle is to close the bottling operation at its Gateshead brewery with the loss of 66 jobs.
The closure, at the former Federation Brewery, follows a decision from the UK's largest brewer to stop supplying flagship brand Newcastle Brown Ale in returnable bottles.
Chris Jowsey, managing director, Newcastle Federation Breweries, said yesterday (10 January): "We currently package Newcastle Brown Ale in two types of 550ml glass bottles and this impacts negatively on cost and operational efficiencies.
"No other national beer brand sold by S&N UK or its competitors is available in returnable bottles and we have concluded that it is no longer necessary or economically viable to supply Newcastle Brown Ale in returnable bottles."
Jowsey said that the packaging of returnable bottles would end next month. All Newcastle Brown Ale will be packaged at Tadcaster in North Yorkshire, he added.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets