UK: S&N to announce purchase of UB stake today - paper
Scottish & Newcastle, the UK's largest brewer, is to announce today that it has bought a minor shareholding in India's largest brewer United Breweries (UB), according to Indian reports.
S&N has made no comment on the possible deal, but the UK brewer is known to have been one of a number of brewers involved in talks concerning an alliance with UB.
UB Chairman Vijay Mallya said has been searching for a strategic partner to bring international brands to India and help UB market its well-known Kingfisher beer brand abroad, since last April.
It is thought S&N's success is in part due to its decision to accept a minority holding. Other brewers such as Belgium's Interbrew and South African Breweries wanted a controlling stake, which UB was unwilling to agree to.
Drinks analysts at investment bank WestLB Panmure said the move would ease the company's shareprice because of the inverse relationship between country risk and EV/EBITDA valuations.
However the move would also dilute S&N's traditional European focus and give the group exposure to growth markets.
The Times of India newspaper reported today that S&N has agreed to buy a 31% stake in UB and an identical 31 percent stake in Millennium Alcobev, another company of the UB group, for a total of 4.7 billion rupees (US$97 million).
However, a Reuters report said sources in London thought, while S&N would take a minority stake in UB, the size of the stake and the purchase price mentioned in the paper were incorrect.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Interbrew UK has poached two marketing managers from rival brewers....
The UB Group is looking to offload some of its liquor brands, according to local reports....
Interbrew is to place a £1m support package behind its Czech brand Staropramen in the UK....
InBev has announced that the deadline for the receipt of acceptances for the recommended offers of US$33.41 for the remaining Class A (non-voting) shares in SUN Interbrew, along with Class A Securitie...
SUN Interbrew is looking to buy into a Siberian brewer, according to local press reports....
Interbrew UK has announced plans to launch a new speciality beer....
InBev has extended the deadline for the receipt of acceptances for the recommended offers of USD33.41 in cash for the remaining shares and Securities that it does not already own in SUN Interbrew (SIL...
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- How has craft beer put the squeeze on world beers?
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Consumers want brands that challenge them - study
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Heineken signs JV deal in Philippines
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends