GREECE: S&N silent on Heineken antitrust probe
UK brewer Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has declined to comment on speculation in a UK Sunday newspaper that it would be seeking to use an ongoing antitrust investigation into Heineken's activities in Greece as part of its defence strategy against the joint takeover of S&N being mounted by the Dutch brewer and Carlsberg.
An S&N spokesperson told just-drinks that it was aware of the complaint against Heineken but could make no further comment.
The report in the Sunday Telegraph suggested that the probe by the Greek antitrust regulator could prompt a wider investigation by the European Commission.
Heineken controls around 80% of the Greek beer sector, while S&N puts its market share at 11%.
S&N has rejected a takeover approach by Carlsberg and Heineken, valuing S&N at 720p per share or GBP6.8bn (US$14bn), describing the offer as "derisory".
Beam Global Spirits & Wine was the frontrunner to land Absolut vodka but was pipped at the post by Pernod Ricard. However, president and CEO Tom Flocco says the company has quickly put that disappoint...
Shares in the Dr Pepper Snapple Group officially begun trading on the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday (7 May). Headlines accompanying the first few days of this newly-listed soft drinks group wer...
Global soft drink giant The Coca-Cola Company has announced it is to invest US$50m in the expansion and up-scaling of its bottling lines across Kenya....
The C&C Group has announced that, following a fall in cider sales, the company's operational profit has declined 37.3% over the last financial year....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair are products from Constellation, Diageo and Cocoa Farm. To keep track of all the LIWF news see our diary every day....
Castel has acquired Oenoalliance, a union of family wine merchants specialising in Bordeaux wines and Languedoc Roussillon wines, for an undisclosed sum....
Independent family distiller William Grant & Sons has announced the appointment of Peter Gordon to the position of non-executive chairman....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends