UPDATE: S&N sets benchmark for talks agreement
The two European brewers today (10 January) offered GBP7.80 per share for S&N, a GBP0.30 improvement on the last offer, made in November. S&N has rejected the latest proposal, ahead of a 21 January UK Takeover Panel deadline for a formal bid from Carlsberg and Heineken.
"The board of S&N has met and considered this proposal carefully," the company said. "The board concluded … that it still failed to reflect the unique strengths and market positions of the company and again failed to be competitive with the alternatives the company can pursue for delivering value to its shareholders."
Earlier this week, S&N said it would realise GBP100m (US$196.4m) per annum in savings, should it succeed in taking complete control of its Baltic Beverages Holding joint venture from Carlsberg. The UK brewer highlighted this, as well as "the depreciation of sterling against the Euro, Russian rouble and US dollar" since Carlsberg and Heineken's November offer. "(This) has the effect of boosting the value of S&N's international business in sterling terms," S&N said.
"S&N believes that a significant part of the increase in the consortium's proposal simply reflects this appreciation."
The UK brewer concluded that it would be prepared to open negotiations ahead of agreeing to a bid, should "a firm proposal of at least GBP8.00 per share" is made by the consortium.
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
UK Brewer and pub operator Greene King saw its like-for-like beer sales drop nearly 3% in the off trade, an indication of the current pressure on brewers....
The Coca-Cola Company is to submit a planning application for the building of a manufacturing and innovation facility in Wexford, Ireland....
Pernod Ricard shares have been downgraded to "sell" from "neutral" and the price target reduced to EUR55 from EUR72, according to market sources....
Carlsberg has increased its control of Estonian brewer Saku Ölletehas....
William Grant & Sons US has appointed Sam Simmons as the "first-ever" Balvenie brand ambassador....
Judge & Dolph, LLC president Rockwell Wirtz has closed a deal that creates the leading spirit, wine and malt beverage distributor in Illinois....
Fortune Brands has moved to revise its earnings expectations going forward, due to "weakening consumer sentiment" in the US and the hike in RTD taxes in Australia....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends