UK: S&N says “nothing to negotiate” with Carlsberg, Heineken
Speaking to just-drinks today (3 December), a spokesperson for S&N said that, in light of speculation suggesting growing unrest amongst some of S&N's shareholders, "there is nothing to negotiate" with Carlsberg and Heineken.
Reports in The Observer yesterday said that several institutional investors in S&N have already reduced their stakes, in fear that a takeover could fail to materialise if S&N does not engage in talks with the Dutch and Danish brewers.
"We do not attempt to comment on behalf of shareholders", the spokesperson said. "(However), at least two named shareholders in the past week, Legal & General and Scottish Widows, have said that they support calls for more transparency on BBH."
Carlsberg and Heineken, recently teamed up to form a consortium to buy S&N, a move that has been rebuffed twice in the past month by the UK-brewer. Carlsberg is hoping to take full control of Baltic Beverages Holding, which it jointly owns with S&N.
Legal & General currently holds a 4.5% stake in S&N, while Scottish Widows holds 4.3%.
The head of Pernod Ricard has suggested that the French group may look to acquire extra vines or wines in the Champagne region going forward....
Carlsberg is examining all options following the Scottish & Newcastle deal, but has not yet made any decisions on European brewery closures....
South Asia Breweries has launched Carlsberg's flagship namesake brand in India, targeting the country's growing appetite for premium beer....
Heineken has unveiled a restructuring programme in France, which will result in the loss of almost 200 jobs in the country....
Carlsberg has begun rolling out its DraughtMaster Professional System in the UK....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Consumer trends are turning towards "greener" drinks products and a demand for a broader array of drinks, according to recent research....
InBev is reportedly set to team up with Kool Breweries in India....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages