UK: S&N says “nothing to negotiate” with Carlsberg, Heineken
Speaking to just-drinks today (3 December), a spokesperson for S&N said that, in light of speculation suggesting growing unrest amongst some of S&N's shareholders, "there is nothing to negotiate" with Carlsberg and Heineken.
Reports in The Observer yesterday said that several institutional investors in S&N have already reduced their stakes, in fear that a takeover could fail to materialise if S&N does not engage in talks with the Dutch and Danish brewers.
"We do not attempt to comment on behalf of shareholders", the spokesperson said. "(However), at least two named shareholders in the past week, Legal & General and Scottish Widows, have said that they support calls for more transparency on BBH."
Carlsberg and Heineken, recently teamed up to form a consortium to buy S&N, a move that has been rebuffed twice in the past month by the UK-brewer. Carlsberg is hoping to take full control of Baltic Beverages Holding, which it jointly owns with S&N.
Legal & General currently holds a 4.5% stake in S&N, while Scottish Widows holds 4.3%.
The head of Pernod Ricard has suggested that the French group may look to acquire extra vines or wines in the Champagne region going forward....
Carlsberg is examining all options following the Scottish & Newcastle deal, but has not yet made any decisions on European brewery closures....
South Asia Breweries has launched Carlsberg's flagship namesake brand in India, targeting the country's growing appetite for premium beer....
Heineken has unveiled a restructuring programme in France, which will result in the loss of almost 200 jobs in the country....
Carlsberg has begun rolling out its DraughtMaster Professional System in the UK....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Consumer trends are turning towards "greener" drinks products and a demand for a broader array of drinks, according to recent research....
InBev is reportedly set to team up with Kool Breweries in India....
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Key trends for beer in 2016 - Focus
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- Diageo nears wine exit with Acacia sale to Peju
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research