UK/DENMARK: S&N rejects new bid, Carlsberg relations stretched
The two European brewers today (15 November) tabled an improved GBP7.50 per share bid for S&N. The UK brewer said today, however, that it had "no hesitation in rejecting this wholly inadequate proposal".
S&N's board added that it was "particularly concerned" by Carlsberg's refusal to disclose relevant information about Baltic Beverages Holding's prospects.
BBH is Carlsberg and S&N's joint venture in Eastern Europe. "(This information) is essential, in the current circumstances, to allow S&N's shareholders to assess the proper value of BBH," S&N said.
Sir Brian Stewart, S&N's chairman, added: "Carlsberg and Heineken's marginally increased proposal continues their attempt to get S&N's unique portfolio of businesses on the cheap. The board is highly confident in the actions being taken to maximise shareholder value, and strongly urges shareholders to take no action."
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Carlsberg said: "Now we must wait and see. We hope S&N's shareholders will see this (revised offer) as a compelling proposal."
When asked how relations between Carlsberg and S&N were going since the acquisition attempt went public, the spokesperson said. "We are all professional people, but maybe we don't have as many beers together afterwards as we used to."
Beam Global Spirits & Wine was the frontrunner to land Absolut vodka but was pipped at the post by Pernod Ricard. However, president and CEO Tom Flocco says the company has quickly put that disappoint...
Shares in the Dr Pepper Snapple Group officially begun trading on the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday (7 May). Headlines accompanying the first few days of this newly-listed soft drinks group wer...
Global soft drink giant The Coca-Cola Company has announced it is to invest US$50m in the expansion and up-scaling of its bottling lines across Kenya....
The C&C Group has announced that, following a fall in cider sales, the company's operational profit has declined 37.3% over the last financial year....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair are products from Constellation, Diageo and Cocoa Farm. To keep track of all the LIWF news see our diary every day....
The Coca-Cola Co. has signed a letter of intent to acquire a number of water and energy drink brands in Denmark and Finland from regional bottling partner Carlsberg....
Castel has acquired Oenoalliance, a union of family wine merchants specialising in Bordeaux wines and Languedoc Roussillon wines, for an undisclosed sum....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages