UK: S&N pulls Bulmers Pear on draught
Heineken-owned Scottish & Newcastle UK is axing Bulmers Pear on draught to concentrate on the bottled version.
S&N told just-drinks today (28 August) that the move, which comes just a year after the launch of Bulmers Pear in draught, is due to the "phenomenal success" of Bulmers Pear in bottles.
"It is the clear leader in its category and our belief is that it is difficult for licensees to 'justify' the addition of another draught cider on their increasingly cluttered bar counters when, in Strongbow and Bulmers Original, we already offer the two leading draught cider brands in the UK," a spokesperson said.
Darryl Hinksman, head of customer marketing for the on-trade at S&N UK, said: "We believe that packaged pear cider offers the strongest opportunity for growth in this category and we are therefore putting our investment behind this format rather than rolling out Draught Bulmers Pear.
"Bulmers Original on draught continues to perform well and there are no plans to discontinue this variant of the brand."
S&N UK this week launched its biggest press and poster campaign to date for the Bulmers brand.
Four new ads based around the existing strapline "Squeezing the best out of the British summer" will be shown on outdoor poster sites in major cities throughout the UK.
The campaign will also run in leading men's magazine titles including FHM, GQ and Empire together with sports publications such as Shortlist Sport and The Guardian, The Independent and The Observer.
This week, S&N owner Heineken reported a 4% rise in cider volume sales in the UK for the first half of 2009.
Last month S&N launched a multi-million pound media campaign for its Foster's beer brand. The 'Get some Australian in You' campaign will encompass TV, cinema, radio advertising and digital activity.
Heineken surprised many observers with the timing and swiftness of its deal to acquire FEMSA Cerveza, announced this week. Here's what analysts and other media have been saying about the deal....
Vina Concha y Toro has reported a fall in operating profits for 2009, hit by consumers spending less on wine in the economic downturn....
- Pernod Ricard's Q3 2017 trading update - Preview
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- How soft drinks brands manage to offend consumers
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- William Grant snaps up Tuthilltown Spirits in US
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020