COMMENT: S&N pubs still cloud future performance
Yesterday in an AGM statement the UK brewer Scottish & Newcastle said it was confident of meeting its financial objectives for the year, despite what it called "variable" conditions in its major markets. An S&N trading statement indicates that it has gained market share in all of its beer operations. In the UK (29% of group EBIT), its top five brands in the UK grew by 3% in the year to date. However, this compares with data released from the UK government yesterday that shows total beer volumes up 4.6% on a moving annual total basis and 4.8% on a quarter on quarter basis. "This suggests that the S&N are not necessarily out-performing the beer market," said Stuart Price of equity analyst WestLB Panmure in a research note.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review