COMMENT: S&N pubs still cloud future performance
Yesterday in an AGM statement the UK brewer Scottish & Newcastle said it was confident of meeting its financial objectives for the year, despite what it called "variable" conditions in its major markets. An S&N trading statement indicates that it has gained market share in all of its beer operations. In the UK (29% of group EBIT), its top five brands in the UK grew by 3% in the year to date. However, this compares with data released from the UK government yesterday that shows total beer volumes up 4.6% on a moving annual total basis and 4.8% on a quarter on quarter basis. "This suggests that the S&N are not necessarily out-performing the beer market," said Stuart Price of equity analyst WestLB Panmure in a research note.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts