UK: S&N in talks with Anheuser-Busch over BBH?
Scottish & Newcastle has refused to be drawn on reports claiming that it is in talks with several parties with a view to take full control of its East European joint venture.
Newspaper reports over the weekend suggested that the UK brewer is in negotiations with fellow brewer Anheuser-Busch, as well as private equity funds Blackstone and Texas Pacific group to help fund the purchase of Carlsberg's 50% stake in Baltic Beverages Holding.
When contacted by just-drinks today (14 January), however, a spokesperson fro S&N would not comment on the speculation. "We identified in our presentation (regarding BBH) last week that we were expecting to find high quality interest (in making a joint move for BBH). There has been substantial interest," the spokesperson said, declining to comment more specifically on the matter.
In detailing its claims for BBH last week, S&N said: "(We) envisage introducing a new investor(s) to take a minority position in BBH of up to 25%."
S&N believes that Carlsberg's discussions with Heineken over acquiring the UK brewer have triggered the so-called 'shotgun clause' in their joint venture, a claim Carlsberg has dismissed.
The Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce is set to rule on the row in July. The institute's decision on the matter will be final and binding.
Depending on which side of the argument one listens to, BBH is valued at between GBP4.1bn (US$8.03bn) and GBP4.6bn.
As most of us keeping a close eye on Leuven expected, it was never a matter of if InBev was going to launch a bid for US rival Anheuser-Busch, but when. And that when was late last night (11 June)....
Ten facts about Anheuser-Busch:...
Anheuser-Busch this week responded to speculation about its future in a letter to its employees amidst the ongoing takeover dispute with InBev....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
Anheuser-Busch has extended its marketing relationship with The Chicago Cubs through to 2013....
A group of Anheuser-Busch shareholders have filed lawsuits against the brewer, claiming A-B's board has breached its fiduciary responsibility by rejecting InBev's recent takeover offer....
Widmer Brothers Brewing Company and Redhook Ale Brewery have completed their merger, renaming the combined company Craft Brewers Alliance....
InBev has responded to Anheuser-Busch's rejection of its takeover bid by reiterating the perceived positives of its original offer....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- New CEO sparks optimism at Coca-Cola - Analysis
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Johnnie Walker Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish - NPD
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report