UK: S&N has "bone to pick" with Carlsberg
The head of Scottish & Newcastle has been quoted this week as saying he has a "bone to pick" with its joint venture partner, Carlsberg.
The Danish brewer has teamed up with Heineken to attempt to acquire S&N. Carlsberg and S&N jointly own Baltic Beverages Holding, a brewing interest that operates in Eastern Europe and has proved to be a cash cow for the two brewers in recent years.
Speaking to Dutch media yesterday (4 December), John Dunsmore was cited as saying that he "only has a difference of opinion on a business level" with Heineken, although he had a "bone to pick" with Carlsberg.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for S&N confirmed the company's stance. "We clearly regard Heineken's position as unacceptable," the spokesperson said, "but we see Carlsberg's much more so - they were our partners in BBH, and they have tried to circumvent the shareholder's agreement we have together."
Earlier today, S&N confirmed that the arbitration tribunal, which the brewer invoked in October, has appointed a chairman. A decision on the arbitration over BBH, which will decide whether S&N can take full control of BBH, is expected in June next year.
"If Heineken's position is a misdemeanour, then Carlsberg's is grand larceny," the spokesperson added.
The head of Pernod Ricard has suggested that the French group may look to acquire extra vines or wines in the Champagne region going forward....
Carlsberg is examining all options following the Scottish & Newcastle deal, but has not yet made any decisions on European brewery closures....
South Asia Breweries has launched Carlsberg's flagship namesake brand in India, targeting the country's growing appetite for premium beer....
Carlsberg has begun rolling out its DraughtMaster Professional System in the UK....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Consumer trends are turning towards "greener" drinks products and a demand for a broader array of drinks, according to recent research....
The prospective head of Pernod Ricard has warned that there could be a reduction in the number of flavoured editions of the Absolut vodka brand going forward....
InBev is reportedly set to team up with Kool Breweries in India....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research