VIETNAM: S&N gets brewery construction clearance - report
Scottish & Newcastle has been given full clearance to proceed with the construction of its first brewery in Vietnam, according to local reports.
The Saigon Times Daily said today (27 February) that the Long An People's Committee has issued an "investment certificate" allowing the formation of Kronenbourg Vietnam Ltd., a 50:50 joint venture between S&N and the state-owned wine and tobacco company Vinataba. The brewery, construction of which has begun this year, is located in the Long An province of the country, and will begin operating in 20 months time, the paper claimed.
S&N confirmed to just-drinks late last year that the joint venture has set aside US$75m for construction of the brewery. The UK company will be stumping up $19m of the investment.
Last year, SABMiller set up a joint venture with Vietnam's leading dairy group, Vinamilk. Meanwhile, Asia Pacific Breweries, Heineken's partner in Asia, controls five breweries in the country. Carlsberg holds around 10% of the beer market through its investments in two local brewers. In March, the Danish brewer bought a 10% stake in Habeco, Vietnam's second-largest brewer.
Local brewer Saigon Brewery remains the market leader in Vietnam, where beer consumption is growing at about 8% a year.
The South African whisky market grew by an estimated 16.2% in 2007 to over 3.5m cases. According to The IWSR's South Africa Wine and Spirits 2008 report, growth was largely driven by Jameson, Jack Dan...
Pernod Ricard has confirmed the executive team for its recently-acquired Vin & Sprit Absolut Spirits....
Heineken has completed a review of its recently-acquired half of Scottish & Newcastle, and has said it expects higher synergy savings than it previously forecast....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Maxxium has lined up a travel retail promotional event at Munich Airport inspired by the city's Oktoberfest....
C&C Group is set to release what it has claimed to be the first mid-strength cider in the UK for its Magners brand....
Under-pressure French wine & spirits firm Belvedere has opened a new office in Panama as it looks to expand duty free sales for its brands in the region....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has launched 'Le Nez de Courvoisier' programme for its Cognac brand in the US....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research