UK: S&N faces boycott
Scottish & Newcastle could face a drinks boycott at this year's Edinburgh Festival. The Transport and General Workers Union announced yesterday that it plans to launch a campaign against the brewer in opposition to its decision to close its brewery in the city.
Last month, S&N announced that it would shut the Fountainbridge brewery in central Edinburgh, with the loss of 170 jobs.
The union believes the closure is unnecessary as the brewery is efficient and profitable. It is also hoping to meet with the company in an attempt to avoid the job losses.
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- William Grant and Drambuie: It Had to be You
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Scottish leader speaks out over Scotch whisky
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk