INDIA: S&N buys into United
Scottish and Newcastle (S&N) is to buy a 37.5% stake in India's United Breweries Ltd. The two companies confirmed over the weekend that the deal will be worth INR4.66bn (US$106m).
Under the agreement, S&N will buy a 17.5% equity stake in United by preferential allotment for INR2.17bn and make a public offer to buy another 20% stake with an investment of about INR2.49bn.
S&N's stake will be balanced by a similar holding controlled by the chairman of the Indian company.
At a press conference, Vijay Mallya said: "I, through my direct holding as well as those of my investment companies, will also hold 37.5% of the capital of United Breweries Ltd."
In addition to the equity stake, S&N is to invest INR2.47bn in United through non-convertible redeemable preference shares.
Millenium Alcobev Ltd., a joint venture between the two companies, will be merged with United Breweries, which expects to have about half of India's beer market after the merger.
"The agreement is a natural development of our very successful joint venture with United Breweries," said Tony Froggatt, chief executive of Scottish and Newcastle.
Kingfisher is United's main beer brand, with a market share of about 29% in India.
The second part of a report on the Indian soft drinks market from analysts Euromonitor examines the progress of non-carbonated sectors, looking at the growth of the bottled water category and the pote...
India's largest brewer, United Breweries, is to spend INR4bn (US$90.7m) on boosting its brewing capacity as it aims to keep pace with the country's booming beer market....
The United Breweries-Scottish & Newcastle combine may buy Australian beer maker Foster's franchise in India, according to market sources....
SABMiller has entered into an agreement with the UB Group to market the Indian company's whisky brand Royal Challenge....
UK-based brewing group Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has issued an upbeat trading statement for the first nine months of the year....
United Breweries Group (UB) is planning to launch three more wine brands in the Indian market....
InBev may be entering the Indian market soon through a joint-venture....
Radico Khaitan is in talks to buy some brands from the United Breweries (UB) Group....
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- What's in store for Super Bowl 5 - Focus
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research